December 7, 2018
Career Corner: Network Your Way to a Job
When it comes to landing a job, you’ve heard it before - it’s all about who you know. But let’s concretize that: a full 40% of law graduates secure their first job after law school through networking. This means that law school isn’t just about doing well in your classes. Law school is about building relationships, developing your professional skills, and forming a network of mentors and seasoned attorneys who are ready and willing to help you.
Southwestern’s Career Services Office makes it easy to build and grow your list of contacts. While it would be easy to rest on our 14,000 alumni across all 50 states and 26 countries, we also run a number of programs that help you further strengthen those ties.
- The Alumni Resource Network: a database of 400+ alumni who are available to mentor Southwestern students
- LawCareerLab: a weekend workshop to teach students network-building strategies and networking skills
- Practice-Specific Panels: on-campus panel discussions with practicing attorneys across many areas of law
- Judicial Clerks Roundtable and Annual Judges’ Reception: annual opportunity to meet judges and learn about recent graduates’ paths to clerkship
- The Inn of St. Ives: intimate dining and discussion events with distinguished alumni and other community leaders