Self-assessment is an important first step in the job search process. By gathering information about yourself, including an analysis of your values, interests, and abilities, you will make more informed career choices and increase your chances of long-term job satisfaction. The CSO is here to empower you and give you the resources to develop your unique career path.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI ) is a self-assessment tool based on psychiatrist Carl Jung’s theory of psychological type that helps identify your preferences regarding interaction with others, information gathering and decision making. Knowing your type can help you identify your strengths and preferences, learn more effective study strategies, refine your communication style, and provide insight on what types of work and work settings will likely be most satisfying given your preferences.
Once you have visited the CSO for your initial 1L individual appointment, if you are interested in learning your type, you may schedule an appointment with Senior Assistant Director and Certified MBTI Practitioner, Elizabeth Bernstein.
Other Self-Assessment Tools & Resources
- Ten Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing a Practice Area - Developed by the legal search firm Major, Lindsey & Africa (PDF on right)
- ABA Legal Career Quiz
- CliftonStrengths assessment
CSO Library Resources
- Do What You Are by Paul D. Tieger & Barbara Barron
- The Official Guide to Legal Specialties by Lisa L. Abrams
- What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Bolles