The rapidly expanding and converging realms of film, television, music, theater, advertising, sports, the news media and the internet open endless possibilities for future lawyers on a global scale. Taking full advantage of our location at the heart of the global entertainment industry, Southwestern established the Donald E. Biederman Entertainment and Media Law Institute in 2000 to help make such opportunities more accessible for our students who aspire to practice law in these fields. Offering the most comprehensive entertainment, media and intellectual property curriculum in the United States, we are proud that Southwestern has been recognized for many years by the legal and entertainment communities for excellence in entertainment law.
We have been listed in the top 10 of The Hollywood Reporter's roster of "America's Top Entertainment Law Schools" six years in a row (2012-2017).
A prestigious executive board and network of alumni occupying important corporate and law firm positions throughout the industry are also very active in serving as mentors to our students.
The Institute sponsors prominent speakers’ series and conferences and publishes the Journal of International Media and Entertainment Law in conjunction with the ABA Forums on Communications Law and the Entertainment and Sports Industries, as well as the Biederman Blog, a cutting-edge entertainment law blog. We also established the nation's first LL.M. degree in entertainment and media law.
LawStreetMedia.com listed us as #1 in their "Top 10 Law Schools for Entertainment Law."
- 50+ Externships in settings such as: the Directors Guild of America, the Screen Actors Guild, Warner Bros., William Morris Endeavor
- Entertainment and the Arts Legal Clinic
- Entertainment Law Firm Practicum
- Journal of International Media & Entertainment Law
- Moot Court Honors Program teams fielded to entertainment, information technology and privacy, and telecommunications competitions
- Summer programs in Los Angeles and London focused on Entertainment and Media Law
- Student Organizations and Activities: Entertainment Law Society; Intellectual Property Law Society; Media Law Forum; Music Law Society
- Biederman Scholars Program
- Biederman Blog
- First LL.M. in Entertainment and Media Law in the country