Southwestern Law School is seeking a detail oriented, dependable individual who is a self-starter capable of working with minimal supervision and able to coordinate and manage multiple assignments and projects successfully. The Senior Accountant will work under the supervision of the Controller. This position provides an exceptional opportunity for an experienced and committed professional whose skills and attitude complement a collegial team. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Responsible for leading all month-end financial reporting procedures and related analyses including: preparation of monthly recurring journal entries, preparation of daily/monthly bank reconciliations and analyses of various prepaid and liability accounts.
- Prepares required tax filings including: monthly parking tax returns for the City of Los Angeles and quarterly Sales and Use Tax returns for the State Board of Equalization.
- Prepares monthly analyses for various investment accounts (CD’s, bonds and mutual funds) including related calculations of interest and dividends.
- Works with the Financial Aid department in preparing monthly reconciliations of payroll reporting relating to federal work-study programs.
- Acts as the primary liaison with 3rd party property management companies regarding their required monthly profit and loss reports. Investigates significant variances against approved budgets.
- Maintains financial schedules and accounting entries related to various fixed assets and work in progress general ledger accounts.
- Responsible for updating account structures to ensure accurate mapping to general ledger and financial reports.
- Assists in annual year-end financial audit by preparing various audit analyses requested by external auditors.
- Assists Controller and CFO, as needed, on special ad-hoc projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related business degree from an accredited institution
- Five (5) plus years of progressive relevant work experience is required; higher education experience is preferred
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and working knowledge of non-profit fund accounting
- Experience using complex accounting systems such as “Ellucian Datatel Colleague” or other higher education software system is preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills including: advanced excel formulas, data manipulation functions, and pivot tables
- Ability to prioritize and effectively handle multiple assignments and projects in a deadline driven environment, and deliver with a high degree of quality on a consistent basis
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to multi task, deliver results and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
For consideration, send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org