Throughout the year, the Career Services Office maintains extensive listings of current job openings within the legal profession, including full- and part-time positions for students and graduates, fellowship opportunities, internships, on-campus student research assistants, and other work study positions. In conjunction with Symplicity, a resume posting and job listing service, these openings are online and accessible via the Internet. With Symplicity, students and alumni may post their resume online and view job openings, and employers may submit job openings directly online from their computer.
Please Note: Please be aware that as of December 22, 2006, Southwestern uses the Symplicity system for all job posting functions. Lawmatch.com is no longer used.
Current Students: Please use your Symplicity log-in and password. If you have forgotten, please go to the Symplicity site, enter your Southwestern email address and click "forgot password." A new password will be sent to your Southwestern account.
Alumni: Job listings will be accessible free of charge for our alumni.
If you graduated in or before 2006, you must register first to obtain access. To register, please email your full name (at time of graduation), your graduation year, and telephone number to email@example.com. We will then verify your status and e-mail you an initial log-in and password to access the web site.
If you graduated in or after 2007 and as a student were accessing Symplicity with a NON-Southwestern email account, re-registration is NOT required. If you were accessing Symplicity with your Southwestern email account, re-registration IS required through firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note that profile verification will be done during office hours and may take a day or two to complete.
- Employers: Click here for information on placing a position with Southwestern.
On-Campus Interview Program
Students participating in the On-Campus Interview Programs (OCIP) must post their resumes on Symplicity.
Symplicity is a lifetime Internet resume database and job posting system provider that enables you, as a Southwestern student or alumni/ae, to create a personalized profile (that may, at your discretion, include your resume) and access Southwestern Law School's database of jobs at your convenience.
Students and registered alumni need to create a personalized profile to post their resume and/or to search the job database. To create a profile, go to Southwestern's Symplicity Page:
Once at Symplicity, log-in under students/alumni and select the Profile tab to complete the information. From this page, you will have access to all of your account settings.
To search the Southwestern jobs database:
- Once logged into Southwestern's Symplicity page, choose the Jobs tab. Different search filters and an advanced search option can be found from this page.
If you have any questions about the system, please ask the Career Services Office staff for assistance, or contact Symplicity directly.
Lawcrossing charges a nominal monthly fee to access their services. If you have difficulty signing up, you may contact LawCrossing Customer Service by phone at 800-973-1177 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Their service is FREE for current Southwestern students until April 30, 2015.
How to Get Started
1. Obtain the Promotion Code Password from Career Services.
2. Go here.
3. Scroll down and enter your law school e-mail address (the one ending in “.edu”) and the Promotion Code Password in the box.
4. You will then receive an e-mail at your law school e-mail address from LawCrossing with an address to copy and paste in your browser to activate your account—just follow the instructions there concerning choosing your user name and password.
5. At that point you will be signed-up and able to use all the features of the site. If you do not receive that e-mail with the link, you may have to check your security settings and make sure that the e-mail is not being treated as SPAM. If you have difficulty signing up or viewing jobs, contact LawCrossing Customer Service by phone at 800-973-1177, M-F between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm PST.
Emplawyernet is a membership based online legal career resource. Southwestern is a participating school, so membership is available for a discounted rate.
Judicial Externships & Clerkships
The Career Services Office can help advice you on Judicial Externships and post-graduate Judicial Clerkships. The Judicial Clerkship Guide (PDF) is available to view online.
Just the Beginning Foundation
The JTBF sponsors Judicial Externship/Clerkship programs for minority and/or economically disadvantaged law students throughout the country. More information is available on the JTBF web site.
United States Department of Justice (DOJ)
The United States Department of Justice (DOJ) has opportunities available for law students and law graduates. Information is available through the DOJ (PDF).
Judge Advocate General's Corps (JAG)
The military offers law clerk and attorney positions within their JAG Corps.
The Navy JAG Corps recruiting presentation is available for download (PDF).
See Website Links for more job search/career planning opportunities.