Dean Garth and Professor Carpenter among "Most Influential People in Legal Education"
In its first list of "the most influential people in legal education," National Jurist magazine has included Southwestern's Dean Emeritus Bryant Garth and Professor Catherine Carpenter among the 25 finalists. The individuals on the list were chosen from nominations received from around the country which were first narrowed down to 50 by the magazine's editorial team and then rated by 350 prominent legal educators for the final list. The finalists will be published in order of influence in the January issue of National Jurist (Update: In the final listing, Dean Garth was number 7 and Professor Carpenter was number 9).
One of the country's leading experts on law school curricula, Professor Carpenter is co-drafter and editor of the ABA's comprehensive report, A Survey of Law School Curricula: 2002-2010. The survey, which garnered extensive media coverage, documents the changes law schools have made to meet the significant challenges and demands of the evolving legal landscape. The study is an update of A Survey of Law School Curricula 1992-2002, the most comprehensive national examination ever conducted on law schools, for which Professor Carpenter also served as principal drafter and editor.
Dean Garth is one of the most prominent international scholars on the legal profession, dispute resolution, globalization and the rule of law. In addition to leading Southwestern as its tenth dean for the past seven years during which the law school made major advancements in virtually all areas, Dean Garth is co-editor of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) Journal of Legal Education, chairs the Advisory Board of the Law School Survey of Student Engagement (LSSSE) and serves on the Executive Coordinating Committee of the pioneering "After the J.D." study of lawyer careers.
The list of finalists (in alphabetical order) includes:
- Catherine Carpenter, Professor, Southwestern Law School
- Paul Campos, Professor, University of Colorado Law School
- Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean, University of California Irvine School of Law
- Jim Chen, Professor, University of Louisville's Brandeis School of Law
- Hiram Chodosh, Dean, University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law
- The Faculty of Washington and Lee School of Law
- Bryant Garth, Dean Emeritus and Professor, Southwestern Law School
- John Garvey, Professor, University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Claudio Grossman, Dean, American University Washington College of Law
- Phoebe Haddon, Dean, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
- William Henderson, Professor, Indiana University Maurer School of Law - Bloomington
- Kevin Johnson, Dean, University of California Davis School of Law
- David Levi, Dean, Duke University School of Law
- Lizabeth Moody, Professor and Dean Emeritus, Stetson University College of Law
- Jerry Organ, Professor, University of St. Thomas School of Law - Minneapolis
- John O'Brien, Dean, New England Law Boston
- Sophie Sparrow, Professor, University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Richard Sander, Professor, University of California at Los Angeles School of Law
- Brian Tamanaha, Professor, Washington University School of Law
- William Treanor, Dean and Executive VP, Georgetown University Law Center
- Kyle McEntee, Co-founder, Law School Transparency
- Blake Morant, Dean, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Patricia White, Dean, University of Miami School of Law
- Philip Weiser, Dean, University of Colorado Law School
- Frank Wu, Chancellor & Dean, University of California, Hastings College of the Law