Southwestern Presents "Our Courts and the World" - A Symposium on Crossing International Legal Lines
On Friday, February 3, the Southwestern Journal of International Law will present Our Courts and the World: Transnational Litigation and Civil Procedure. This one-day symposium will bring together leading scholars from Canada and the United States on the Southwestern campus to discuss the procedural issues that arise in transnational civil litigation cases. It will also assess how receptive courts are to transnational litigation and explore issues related to transnational class actions. The proceedings and papers from this symposium will be published in future Law Journal issue.
According to Vice Dean Austen Parrish, co-chair of the event, "Transnational civil litigation is a vital area of law that is increasingly an important component of modern pretrial practice. Significant developments in the procedural areas of personal jurisdiction, forum non conveniens, foreign judgment enforcement, and the laws related to parallel proceedings and transnational class actions, make this a profoundly challenging area of the law. Recent decisions of the United States Supreme Court have also changed the legal landscape. The panelists will describe the dramatic recent developments and explore the leading legal issues that shape modern international civil litigation."
Among the prominent legal scholars, attorneys and judges, scheduled speakers include:
- Samuel P. Baumgartner, Professor of Law, University of Akron School of Law
- Vaughan Black, Professor of Law, Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law
- Gary B. Born, Partner, WilmerHale, Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School
- Stephen B. Burbank, David Berger Professor for the Administration of Justice, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Montré D. Carodine, Associate Professor of Law, University of Alabama School of Law
- Donald Earl Childress III, Associate Professor of Law, Pepperdine University School of Law
- Paul R. Dubinsky, Associate Professor of Law, Wayne State University Law School
- Allan Ides, Christopher N. May Professor of Law, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
- Thomas Orin Main, Professor of Law, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- Erin O'Hara O'Connor, Professor of Law and Director of Graduate Studies, Law & Economics PhD Program, Vanderbilt Law School
- Cassandra Burke Robertson, Associate Professor, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Linda J. Silberman, Martin Lipton Professor of Law, New York University School of Law
- Linda Sandstrom Simard, Professor of Law, Suffolk University Law School
- Adam N. Steinman, Professor of Law and Michael J. Zimmer Fellow, Seton Hall University School of Law
- Janet Walker, Professor of Law, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Rhonda Wasserman, Professor of Law, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- William E. Thomson, Partners, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- James H. Broderick, Jr., Partner, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey LLP
- Marcus S. Quintanilla, Counsel, O'Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ray D. Weston Jr., Vice President and General Counsel, Taco Bell Corp
Co-Sponsors for the event include the American Society of International Law; the Junior International Law Scholars Association; the Los Angeles County Bar Association - International Law Section; and the State Bar of California - International Law Section. The Southwestern Journal of International Law is published annually to provide a scholarly forum on selected comparative, international and trade law issues. Copies of the issue will be sent to participants and will also be available for purchase.
Participant registration and continental breakfast begins at 8:00 a.m. The symposium will take place from 9:00 a.m. until 5:15 p.m. in the historic Bullocks Wilshire Building on Southwestern's campus. The cost is $75 for attorneys seeking 6.25 hours of CLE credit; $50 for Southwestern alumni and members of co-sponsoring organizations; and $40 for those not seeking CLE credit. Limited parking is available on campus for $8. Click here for a map and directions. More information is also available online.