The Externship Office is located in W231 and is open Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The Externship Program is comprised of four individuals:
- Mitzie Vitela, Associate Director of the Externship Program, provides guidance on the nature and requirements of the Externship Program as well as specific externship placements.
- Lucia Rodriguez, Externship Office Coordinator, provides guidance on the details and procedures of the Externship Program.
- Vice Dean Anahid Gharakhanian, Director of the Externship Program, is available to advise students regarding all aspects of the Externship Program, and to counsel students regarding doing an externship in light of overall curricular planning. Professor Gharakhanian, whose office is BW423, also teaches Legal Analysis, Writing & Skills.
- Senior Associate Dean Doreen Heyer is available to talk with students regarding all aspects of the Externship Program. Her office is located in BW435.
Any student interested in participating in the Externship Program will need to see Ms. Vitela in the Externship Office.
How Do I Find Out More about the Externship Program, and How Do I Apply for an Externship?
Please read the Externship Policies and Guidelines first. You should then review the descriptions of the various placements. After reviewing this information, you are encouraged to visit the Externship Office; we will be happy to further counsel you on the Externship Program and answer your questions. Please remember that timely application is very important, and that some placements (primarily federal judicial and federal governmental offices) require at least six months advance application. Please note that students wishing to participate in entertainment externships must have completed Copyright Law.
- Policies and Guidelines (PDF)
Current Students may find details such as dates, deadlines and forms on MySouthwestern (log-in required).